MAYOR CALLS FOR YOUNG PEOPLE INTERESTED IN JOINING YOUTH COUNCIL
The City of Greater Bendigo wants to hear from local young people who are interested in being part of the City of Greater Bendigo Youth Council in 2020.
Greater Bendigo Mayor Cr Margaret O'Rourke said a number of the current Youth Councillors are retiring and the City is calling on young people who may be interested in filling casual vacancies left by retiring Youth Councillors for the remainder of the 2019 -2020 term to submit an Expression of Interest application.
The Youth Council aims to:
- Include young people from diverse backgrounds in decision-making processes
- Advise on current and emerging issues impacting young people
- Influence youth focused programs and projects delivered by the City of Greater Bendigo
- Provide advice on the management and use of the YO Bendigo youth facility
- Promote civic pride in the contributions of young people in the community by representing the City at civic events.
- Provide a mechanism for young people to oversee the implementation of the City’s Explore, Engage, Empower- Young People in Greater Bendigo `Youth strategy.
Young people participating in the Youth Council will gain:
- Personal and professional development in leadership, public speaking and project delivery;
- A greater understanding of local government and how decisions are made;
- Stronger networking opportunities;
- Experience in participating in City committees, contributing to City plans and responding to community priorities.
Greater Bendigo Youth Mayor Khayshie Tilak-Ramesh said “This is an amazing opportunity for young people who want a stronger voice in our community to meet others with similar interests and ideas, build their leadership skills and develop the knowledge and abilities to affect change. The young people who get involved will develop skills and knowledge in team work, meeting processes, organising projects, public speaking, advocating for change and consulting with their peers.”
Expressions of Interests are open until Thursday November 28, 2019, with Youth Councillors set to be appointed in January.”
For more information contact the City of Greater Bendigo’s Youth Development Team on 5434 6092 or by email to [email protected]
For more information on Youth Council click here